Engineering Manager for Internal Services & Tech Platform
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Engineering Manager for Internal Services & Tech Platform
New York NY, Portland OR, Chicago IL, San Francisco CA, Los Angeles CA,
Help us Build the Future of Money
Gemini Trust Company, LLC (Gemini) is a licensed digital asset exchange and custodian. We built the Gemini platform so customers can buy, sell, and store digital assets (e.g., Bitcoin, Ethereum, and Zcash) in a regulated, secure, and compliant manner.
Digital assets and blockchain technology have the power to transform the world for good. This truth, along with our core values, form the bedrock of our company and culture. At Gemini, no job is too small and no project too big as we endeavor to build the future of money. We are a mission-driven, team-based, inclusive, and determined community of thought leaders who invest in each other and the long game. Join us in our mission!
The Department: Engineering
Gemini is regulated and licensed like a bank, but it’s run like a tech startup, and engineering is the core of the company. There’s a wide range of tough problems to solve at Gemini – from properly securing hundreds of millions of dollars worth of customer funds, to developing innovative new blockchain products, to finding new techniques to combat fraud, to shaving microseconds off our API response times, and everything in between.
All of Gemini’s engineers are able to work across the software platform, not just on their own specialization or subteam. We value a thoughtful, collaborative software development process, coupled with a pragmatic approach to problem solving and delivering software.
The Role: Engineering Manager for Internal Services & Tech Platform
Gemini has about one hundred software engineers spread across a dozen project teams. We are seeking an Engineering Manager to oversee two of those teams: Tech Platform and Compliance Tech. Both teams have excellent engineers and great technical leadership, but they report to a number of different managers, none of whom are focused on these Tech Platform or Compliance Team in particular. This is a new position, created as the Gemini engineering team has grown. In this role, you’ll be responsible for helping these teams define their roadmaps, plans, and goals, helping them achieve those goals, and guiding each team member to develop their career at Gemini.
Tech Platform is responsible for developer tooling, code and architectural best practices, common libraries, and building tools that aid in production monitoring and support. Compliance Tech builds internal-facing and customer-facing software to support the needs of Gemini’s Compliance, Trust & Safety, and Risk teams, including anti-fraud and anti-money-laundering work. Both teams involve coordinating with a number of stakeholders, and frequent communication and coordination with Gemini’s infrastructure team, data team, and almost all of the other development teams.
- Rapidly develop an understanding of relevant parts of our technology stack and assume technical ownership of major components of our code base.
- Ability to communicate at all levels from senior leaders to individual contributors, including technical and non-technical audiences.
- Search for the truth in product conceptualization and development, ensuring designs and implementations are fully aligned with the company mission and product goals.
- Assess the ramifications of software changes and own risk identification/mitigation through effective software development, testing and deployment practices
- Improve developer experience by adopting tools and policies that raise productivity for the entire engineering organization
- Guide technical direction across multiple teams, including choices around language/framework, system architecture/infrastructure, best patterns and practices
- Demonstrate persistence when faced with roadblocks, dispatching them efficiently and pulling in others as necessary while requiring minimal direction/oversight
- Effectively resolve ambiguity, analyzing complex requirements and breaking down features and initiatives into tactical tasks
- Effectively navigate the technical trade-offs
- Help deliver software that positively impacts multiple teams with sweeping improvements
- Own the team’s output, taking responsibility for everyone’s performance
- Quickly ramp up on relevant industry and competitive trends
- You have 6+ years of experience in software development & delivery .
- You have 2+ years of managing full stack engineering teams, delivering high quality software for customers
- You're technical enough to ask engineers good questions about architecture and product decisions.
- You have experience with modern software engineering concepts
- You have expertise in one of programming languages such as Scala, Java, Typescript or Python.
- You have experience establishing successful partnerships with key stakeholders such as Product Managers, Designers & other domain experts
It Pays to Work Here
We take a holistic approach to compensation at Gemini, which includes:
- Competitive base salaries across all departments
- Ownership in the company via profit sharing units
- Amazing benefits, 401k match contribution, and flexible hours
- Snacks, Perks, Wellness Outings & Events
Gemini is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
The future of money