Engineering Manager for Fiats
Engineering Manager for Fiats
New York NY, Portland OR, Chicago IL, San Francisco CA, Los Angeles CA,
Help us Build the Future of Money
Gemini Trust Company, LLC (Gemini) is a licensed digital asset exchange and custodian. We built the Gemini platform so customers can buy, sell, and store digital assets (e.g., Bitcoin, Ethereum, and Zcash) in a regulated, secure, and compliant manner.
Digital assets and blockchain technology have the power to transform the world for good. This truth, along with our core values, form the bedrock of our company and culture. At Gemini, no job is too small and no project too big as we endeavor to build the future of money. We are a mission-driven, team-based, inclusive, and determined community of thought leaders who invest in each other and the long game. Join us in our mission!
The Department: Engineering
Gemini is regulated and licensed like a bank, but it’s run like a tech startup, and engineering is the core of the company. There’s a wide range of tough problems to solve at Gemini – from properly securing hundreds of millions of dollars worth of customer funds, to developing innovative new blockchain products, to finding new techniques to combat fraud, to shaving microseconds off our API response times, and everything in between.
All of Gemini’s engineers are able to work across the software platform, not just on their own specialization or subteam. We value a thoughtful, collaborative software development process, coupled with a pragmatic approach to problem solving and delivering software.
The Role: Engineering Manager for Fiats Team
Gemini has about one hundred software engineers spread across a dozen project teams. We are seeking an Engineering Manager for the backend developers on one of those teams. In this role, you’ll be responsible for helping your team define their roadmap, plans, and goals, helping them achieve those goals, and guiding each team member to develop their career at Gemini.
The Fiats Tech team is in charge of everything related to payments outside the cryptocurrency space. This involves integrating with new banks, new payment methods, and currencies from around the world, each with their own particularities. The team builds customer-facing functionality for deposits and withdrawals as well as internal-facing tools to manage and process payments. Key challenges in this role include maintaining vendor relationships from around the world, and making tradeoff decisions between quick implementations and longer-term structural improvements.
- Create and evolve a structure and organization design for your team
- Drive performance for your team and hold them accountable to externally and internally imposed deadlines and targets
- Make hiring plans and hiring decisions
- Give frequent feedback and coaching to your team members, coordinating with people from around the company to get a full understanding of your team’s performance
- Provide a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment for your team to execute on its priorities and evolve its capabilities over time.
- Communicate at all levels from senior leaders to individual contributors, including technical and non-technical audiences.
- Adapt the team’s plans and goals to changing realities in a fast-moving industry
- Effectively resolve ambiguity, helping the team to analyze complex requirements and break down features and initiatives into tasks
- Own the team’s output, taking responsibility for everyone’s performance
- Quickly ramp up on relevant industry and competitive trends
- You have 6+ years of experience in software development & delivery
- You have 2+ years of managing engineering teams, delivering high quality software for customers
- You're technical enough to ask engineers good questions about architecture and product decisions
- You have experience with modern software engineering concepts
- Ideally, you have expertise in Scala or in a similar backend programming languages, such as Java or C#
- You have experience establishing successful partnerships with key stakeholders such as product managers, project managers, and business owners.
It Pays to Work Here
We take a holistic approach to compensation at Gemini, which includes:
- Competitive base salaries across all departments
- Ownership in the company via profit sharing units
- Amazing benefits, 401k match contribution, and flexible hours
- Snacks, Perks, Wellness Outings & Events
Gemini is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
Your application has been successfully submitted.