This job is no longer accepting applications.
Help us Build the Future of Money
Gemini Trust Company, LLC (Gemini) is a licensed digital asset exchange and custodian. We built the Gemini platform so customers can buy, sell, and store digital assets (e.g., Bitcoin, Ethereum, and Zcash) in a regulated, secure, and compliant manner.
Digital assets and blockchain technology have the power to transform the world for good. This truth, along with our core values, form the bedrock of our company and culture. At Gemini, no job is too small and no project too big as we endeavor to build the future of money. We are a mission-driven, team-based, inclusive, and determined community of thought leaders who invest in each other and the long game. Join us in our mission!
The Department: Engineering
Gemini is regulated and licensed like a bank, but it’s run like a tech startup, and engineering is the core of the company. There’s a wide range of tough problems to solve at Gemini – from properly securing hundreds of millions of dollars worth of customer funds, to developing innovative new blockchain products, to finding new techniques to combat fraud, to shaving microseconds off our API response times, and everything in between.
All of Gemini’s engineers are able to work across the software platform, not just on their own specialization or subteam. We value a thoughtful, collaborative software development process, coupled with a pragmatic approach to problem solving and delivering software.
The Role: Database Administrator
In this role, you’ll be the main Application DBA for the 80-person Gemini software development team. We’ve never had a full-time DBA before, so you’ll have leeway to establish patterns and practices for efficient and well-designed data modeling and database usage across the organization. While you’ll be expected to focus most of your energy on the software development team, ideally you should have additional expertise in PostgreSQL tuning and maintenance, to be able to assist Gemini’s Infrastructure team with our Production environment.
- Develop patterns and practices for database design, database usage, and change management in the Gemini codebase.
- Provide guidance to engineers on specific schema design and SQL queries, and participate in peer reviewing pull requests related to database usage.
- Monitor database performance and identify potential performance and scaling bottlenecks.
- Help to solve database-related issues through the use of indexes, table design, and architecture changes.
- Engage and manage vendors or consultants as necessary to fully support the database needs of the Gemini software development team.
- Work with our Infrastructure team to tune, manage, replicate, backup, and recover our production PostgreSQL databases and PgBouncer connection pools, hosted in Gemini’s data centers and in AWS.
- Coordinate and participate in database stress testing and DR testing, and make recommendations for improvements.
- Bachelor's in Computer Science, Engineering, or equivalent work experience
- Strong database administration skills
- 2+ years of PostgreSQL experience
- Experience optimizing indexes, tuning queries, and resolving blocking/deadlocks
- Ability to detect and troubleshoot database performance issues related issues such as CPU, memory, disk I/O and other resource contention
- Strong communication skills and ability to evangelize ideas across a broader team
- Ability to prioritize stability and performance among multiple competing priorities.
- Knowledge and experience in distributed database systems and common caching, partitioning, and scaling methodologies.
- Experience with PostgreSQL and PgBouncer tuning, systems maintenance, and DR.
It Pays to Work Here
We take a holistic approach to compensation at Gemini, which includes:
- Competitive base salaries across all departments
- Ownership in the company via profit sharing units
- Amazing benefits, 401k match contribution, and flexible hours
- Snacks, Perks, Wellness Outings & Events
Gemini is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
The future of money